Beautiful bright colours to warm up a winters day.
The earthiness of the beetroot is lifted by the sweetness of the persimmon with the added crunch of pumpkin seeds & creamy feta this salad is a textural feast.
Pink couscous salad - Beetroot, persimmon, couscous & feta salad
Gather your ingredients.
Measure out into a heat proof bowl:
- 1 c wholemeal couscous
- 40 ml extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp himalayan pink salt
- a few cracks of black pepper
Then pour over:
- 1 ½ c boiling water
Give it a quick stir with a fork & cover with a plate or tea towel for 5 minutes, while you get the rest of the salad together.
Take a large salad bowl & add:
- 1 red onion, sliced fine as you can
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 lime or lemon juice
- 1 T kombucha or red wine vinegar
- 2 beetroot, scrubbed & grated
- 1 firm ripe persimmon, peeled if preferred & cubed
- 8 curly kale leaves, sliced as fine as you can
- 60 g raisons
Toss together well.
Toast in the oven or frying pan:
- 100 g pumpkin seeds
- 1 T cummin seeds
They are ready when starting to pop. Remove from the heat & add:
1 T tamari or braggs sauce
Stir through, the residual heat should dry it on quickly.
Sprinkle over the salad & serve.